Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Foucault

After having read so much about different theories and ideas, I think I have found the appropriate 'philosophy' or approach to my paper.

I have looked at cases of representation and power of privilege. I have looked at ideas of orientalism and 'the other', particularly with how they are representing another culture/people. In the end, I have stopped at looking at the concept of discourse, especially with how it is used to represent objects or subjects. For this, i have found the work of Michel Foucault to be most appropriate. He moves away from the concept of language (my original focus through Stuart Hall) and towards one about discourse and power/knowledge.

I have written out pages of notes on Foucault and competing theorist and am still sorting through it all to make sense of it, but I am going to drive my theoretical framework within Foucault's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment