Tuesday, June 1, 2010

There's so much stuff to know

I have been researching full heatedly for the past few days, reading a lot of articles written by academics and the general public on their experiences with Twitter. In most cases, a lot of them were skeptics of the 'Twitter revolution' and what it had to offer, but as I read on they seem to have changed their opinions on the benefits of using such microblogging sites.

I would consider myself, not a skeptic per se, but someone who just doesn't feel the need to sign up to another social networking site that I may just sign on for the sake of it being 'the in thing' and then not use it. However the more I read on about this site, the more I too become a believer that this is not just a site where the general population may update us on what they are eating or thinking at the moment. I suppose my doubts have derived from what I have heard being exposed from Twitter. These precise 'tweets', where people feel the need to tell the public what they are doing, eating, etc. at every moment of the day, no matter how 'ir'relevant it may be to most of us. However, I was surprised to see that the young population are not the #1 'tweeters' on the site, in fact the most popular users are those who are older, those in their 30s. This gives me hope that those who use Twitter are not just using it as their own personal venting space, but that intellectuals and professionals are increasingly finding it important and very useful to use this site to network and get the word out on relevant events and information.

I have yet to sign on to Twitter however, but am going to so in the next few days to check out what all this fuss is about. I am more intrigued and willing to sign up now that I know that there are so many intellectuals who make use of the site. I went on last night for the first time, and spent 5 minutes watching the homepage fill up with random tweets coming in and disappearing seconds later. It was making me dizzy watching posts come in and out so fast. If television or facebook wasn't ADD enough, this site sure seems like it is taking it to the next level. Which leaves me to be concerned over whether we are becoming so regulated to these instant services, that anything that takes longer than 1 minute makes us antsy or impatient. I feel as though the intellectual insight that I will gain from the site from just subscribing to tweeters who I find have something relevant to say will hopefully avoid these feelings of impatient immediacy.

Until my official sign up to the site, I will read on in hopes of discovering what the Twitter world is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment